Emma Watson's Partially Painted Nails: Yay or Nay?

So I've been seeing a number of tutorials for a partially painted or deconstructed nail look, and I was pretty puzzled. Since when did we start putting out tutorials on how to make your manicure look totally ruined? Turns out, a celebrity wore it in a magazine! Emma Watson, in November's Elle magazine, had her nails painted to look half-done. This is the look in question:

(Image Source)


Some bloggers have called it a 'reverse french manicure', but to me, it just kinda looks like a very badly executed Ruffian manicure. And from the Elle website, seems like a lot of work went into getting it to look like that. The nail artist first painted the areas near the cuticles, and then used an airbrushing tool to get the colour gradation, but left the middle part unpainted.

Since the photo above wasn't too adequate in showing the nail look, I tried getting screencaps of the behind-the-scenes video. Here's what I got. I couldn't get a bigger version...it just ended up looking blurry.


I'm scratching my head as to why an airbrushing tool, of all things, was needed to make your nails look like a 5 year old painted them halfway. Hey guys, I'm airbrushing my nails to make them look all messed up! LOL.

Anyway, based on the tutorials I've seen, the look can be recreated using variety of other, much simpler, methods (smudging the polish while wet, painting the whole nail and then removing the center, and basically other methods of destroying your mani, preferably while it's still wet).

Anyway, I can't say I'm a fan of the nail look, although I love Emma Watson (aww, come on, who doesn't?). To me, it doesn't look deconstructed or trendy, it just looks like a manicure worn for waaay too long. And for some reason, it looks really dirty, as though dirt collected in the cuticle area. Well, on the bright side, if I walk into work with chipped and disgusting nail polish and my boss complains about it, I'll just tell him that this is how we all wear our nail polish nowadays!

What do you think of this look? High fashion, or just sloppy? Let me know!
Share on :
Emma Watson's Partially Painted Nails: Yay or Nay?
Emma Watson's Partially Painted Nails: Yay or Nay?
Reviewed by Unknown
Published :
Rating : 4.5